Jeshua Anderson wins junior national title at 400 hurdles...

Jeshua Anderson of Washington State University tuned up for the US Olympic Team Trials-Track & Field in grand fashion, as the super-frosh and reigning NCAA champion won the men's 400-meter hurdles in record-setting fashion at the 2008 USA Junior Outdoor Track & Field Championships at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

Anderson clocked a time of 49.28 seconds to break a five-year-old stadium record and the meet mark which had stood since 1984. With the victory, Anderson qualified for the 2008 International Association of Athletics Federation World Junior Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland, July 8-13.

2007 World Youth champion William Wynne (Kennesaw, Ga.) shot out of the blocks and into the lead but was passed on the final straightaway by 2007 Pan Am Junior champion Johnny Dutch (Clayton, N.C.) and eventual winner Anderson (Mission Hills, Calif.). Anderson crossed the line in 49.28 to break the 24 year-old meet record of 49.45 set in 1984 by Belfred Clark. Dutch was second in 49.74 and Wynne third in 50.42.

"I probably don't give Jeshua enough credit because I see him do great things all the time, but when you think about it, a meet record here, that is a big accomplishment," said WSU assistant coach Mark Macdonald.

Afterwards, the winner said, "This race was kind of hard, since I had a couple days off following the NCAA meet. I just wanted to finish in the top two here and make that trip to Poland.

It's a blessing and I thank God that I made it. I wasn't able to go last year, since I missed my flight. Just to make it this year is a good thing for me.

I have the Olympic Trials next week, so hopefully I'll do good enough there and try to make the Olympic team.

I ran this meet to get some more work in. There were a couple of things I messed up on during my NCAA race. I knew I would have great competition out here, so I wanted to fix some mistakes here and at the Olympic Trials."

HARRY JEROME NOTES: At Saturday's Harry Jerome Track Classic in Burnaby, British Columbia, Jarred Rome squeezed out a one-inch victory over training partner Ian Waltz in the men's discus, 211-1 to 211-0.

Ex Husky Will Conwell threw 193-8 to finish fifth.

Will's wife Kate, a former NCAA champion at the University of Washington, cleared 13-5 1/4 to finish third in the pole vault. Another former Husky, Ashley Lodree, finished fourth in the 100 hurdles (13.27), and third in the 100 dash (11.87).

Eric Garner, the Washington school record holder at the mile, won his section of the men's 1500 meter run in 3:45.00.

Incoming UW freshman Kendra Schaff, who finished 20th at the IAAF World Junior Cross Country Championships this spring as a member of Canada's national team, won the Olympic Development section of the women's 1500 at Jerome, running 4:20.27. Schaff ran 16:05.16 two days earlier at the Victoria International.

Full results of the Harry Jerome Invitational, which is Canada's top track & field invititational meet, can be accessed here...

NOTE: USA Track & Field, Washington State University, and the Harry Jerome Track Classic all contributed to this report.

Comments