Bernard Lagat & Jarred Rome win in Tangier...

TANGIER, Morocco--Washington State grad Bernard Lagat emerged victorious in the 1500 meter run at the Tangier Meeting International in Northern Morocco, clocking a season best time of 3:32.56.

Lagat was one of the headliners in the second edition of this meet, hosted by his good friend and former rival Hicham El Guerrouj.

During a press conference back in late March to promote the meet, Lagat told members of the Moroccan media that “A wonderful friendship between Hicham and me was born from our rivalries on the track and today I am here to support my friend in this beautiful country of Morocco. I am proud to have been invited to compete here and I will do everything I can to be part of the success of the second edition of this meeting.”

That he did.

Lagat, the reigning world champion at 1500 and 5000 meters, cruised to a 1.13 second victory over Moroccans Bensghir Yassine (3:33.69) and Abdelaati Iguider (3:34.11), towing the duo towards 2009 season bests.

Marysville's Jarred Rome won the discus, spinning the platter 61.20 meters (200-9).

For complete results from the Tangier Meeting International, please click here.

Comments