Kyle Nielsen finishes sixth at Francophone Games...

BEIRUT, Lebanon--University of Washington javelin thrower Kyle Nielsen, a member of the Canadian national team, finished sixth in the finals at the Francophone Games competition Monday.

Nielsen, who finished sixth for the Huskies at the NCAA Championships back in June, threw a best of 71.01 meters (232-11) on his final attempt.

The competition was won by Ehab Abdel Rahman of Egypt with a toss of 77.33m (253-8).

In an email sent to paulmerca.blogspot.com, the Canadian said, "my first throw (which he fouled) was my best, but I was just over the line. I needed more throws to get into the groove, but it was so hot I wanted to conserve my energy for the competition. so balancing the two was the biggest battle of the meet."

Nonetheless, he felt that it was a good end to the 2009 season, considering that he had been competing since March. He said that it's a tribute to the coaching he's received at the UW to have enough stamina and a great base level to compete at meets this late.

Comments