Tuesday's hot links--could we see Bernard Lagat on the roads?

Joe Battaglia of universalsports.com has a great interview up with WSU hall of famer Bernard Lagat (left/photo by Paul Merca) on life past the 2012 London Olympics.

This season, Lagat set American records in the 3000m outdoors and the 5000m both indoors and outdoors. He also won a record eighth Wanamaker Mile at the Millrose Games, the World Indoor title in the 3000m, a U.S. title in the 5000m, and IAAF Continental Cup titles in the 3000m and 5000m.

In his third appearance at the Continental Airlines Fifth Avenue Mile in New York on Sunday, Lagat finished second to Amine Laalou of Morocco.

"2012 will not be the end of competition for me, but the end of my track competitions almost for sure," Lagat said. "If I was to go back in 2013, it would be like a farewell tour, just having fun going through places like London and Berlin and waving to the crowds that have blessed me with their support in my career."

"After 2012, I want to go into the road circuit and see what comes out of it," he said.

"I would like to run a marathon," Lagat said. "Anything is possible. It's a matter of mentally, if you're ready you can do it. Obviously, my body won't be that of a 21-year-old. By 2013, I will be 38 years old. Maybe my body will say, ‘Hey, take it easy big boy.'"

To read Battaglia's post, please click here...

In other hot links, the USTFCCCA national Division I cross country poll was released Tuesday, and the Washington Huskies remain in third in the national women's poll.

The Huskies will face their first big test on Friday, as they face defending national champs Villanova, along with #2 ranked Florida State, #5 Oregon, and #8 Princeton at the Notre Dame Invitational Friday.

The Husky men's squad is lurking just outside the national top 30 in the latest poll.


The USTFCCCA national poll is available here.

Finally, for the 50-and-over crowd that reads this blog, here's a link to a story in USA TODAY on Joan Benoit Samuelson, who will celebrate the 25th anniversary of her American record in the marathon of 2:21:21 by running in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on October 10th, and oh by the way, try to earn a qualifying time for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston.

"I would love to run another sub-2:50. I've never run a marathon in more than 3 hours. So I want to keep it under 3 hours. If I can keep it under 2:50, I would have run the three biggest marathons under 2:50 after the age of 50. I did it in Boston in 2008 and did it in New York last year."


To read the full story, please click here.

paulmerca.blogspot.com will be in Chicago to cover the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

Comments