Sunday, May 27, 2012
The real reason why Central's Kati Davis no-heighted at the NCAA D2s, & other vaulting misadventures...
Shauffler tweeted, "Hey @SkyWalkerPV check out this news script from tonight. Can't you PVrs catch a break with the airlines?"
He then proceeded to post this picture (left/photo courtesy Allen Schauffler, @schauffKING5) of a script from Sunday night's news about Central Washington's Kati Davis (below/photo by Paul Merca), the GNAC runner-up, who no heighted Friday at the NCAA Division II championships in Pueblo, Colorado after she was forced to jump with borrowed poles, because her poles didn't make it to Colorado with her when she left Ellensburg on the Tuesday before the meet.
According to the press release from Central Washington, "Davis' supply of poles, which she had taken at the beginning of her trip earlier this week, was lost in luggage and did not make it to Colorado until Friday afternoon when they arrived in Denver, a two-hour driving trip from Pueblo (under normal conditions). However, heavy traffic between Denver and Pueblo resulted in a tardy arrival of Davis' poles, meaning that she had to start the competition -- scheduled for 5:10 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time -- with borrowed poles."
Schauffler's tweet to Walker referred to an incident involving the former Husky and current American record holder, who, after competing in the Shanghai Diamond League meet on the 19th, was stuck for an extra day in Shanghai because the airlines refused to let him travel with his poles.
In a series of tweets, Walker stated that in departing Shanghai, he bought four liters of water worth about $30 AFTER clearing security, only to have all of them confiscated before boarding the plane, "And that was after I got into it with the supervisor who refused to let me fly with poles and had to stay an extra night in amazing China"
Walker sums up what vaulters have to put up with when they travel by saying, "it's a stress no other track and field athletes will ever understand! Imagine just flying with a pair of spikes. One can dream."
NOTE: You can follow Allen Schauffler, who will be covering the London Olympics this summer for KING5 on Twitter at @schauffKING5; Brad Walker can be followed at @SkyWalkerPV; and of course, if you're not doing so already, you can follow this very blog at @paulmerca70601!
- December (7)
- November (14)
- October (17)
- September (13)
- August (23)
- July (29)
- June (22)
- May (31)
- April (24)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (17)
- December (9)
- November (11)
- October (19)
- September (17)
- August (35)
- July (22)
- June (39)
- Patterson finishes seventh in Rome at Compeed Gold...
- Seattle sports and entertainment personalities uni...
- The real reason why Central's Kati Davis no-height...
- SPU senior Brittany Aanstad wins NCAA Division II ...
- Washington's Goethals, Juilifs, Flood, Maricich, a...
- Berry blazes to fourth fastest 400 time in the wor...
- Ali Worthen earns spot on podium with third place ...
- Walker wins low-key competition at Olympic Trainin...
- SPU's Ali Worthen in fifth at the break in NCAA D2...
- Three Cougs, UW's Brookman, along with former Wash...
- SPU, Western and Central Washington send athletes ...
- Call it whatever you want--the road to Des Moines,...
- Come join Norris Frederick's fundraising dinner on...
- List of Washington affiliated athletes qualified f...
- UPDATE #2: List of Washington affiliated athletes...
- Kara Patterson & Britney Henry set new stadium rec...
- Brad Walker fourth in dicey conditions in Shanghai...
- Jordan McNamara scores personal best at Oxy High P...
- Kara Patterson & Norris Frederick win their events...
- US elite throwers, jumpers in Tuscon; distance run...
- 2012 Nike Prefontaine Classic only weeks away!
- NCAA announces accepted entries for next weekend's...
- UW's James Alaka repeats as Pac-12 200 champ; Samm...
- Weekend roundup: Summary of Big Sky, Great West a...
- Hometown hero JJ Julifs takes Pac-12 pole vault ti...
- Eastern Washington's Kyle King wins 10000 at Big S...
- Western Washington's Karis Anderson and Emily Warm...
- The busiest weekend of the outdoor track & field s...
- Eastern's Kersee Lind sixth at the end of day 1 of...
- Wednesday morning links: Big Sky Conference meet ...
- Bolligar no-heights in pole vault at Pac-12 decath...
- Weekend roundup: Cougs and Eagles tune up for con...
- Michael Bolligar of WSU in third at halfway point ...
- Washington's Brooke Pighin wins javelin at WWU Twi...
- Stephanie Brown Trafton sets American discus recor...
- Pac-12 multi events begin Saturday in Eugene; Wash...
- Falcon senior Ali Worthen successfully defends GNA...
- Ali Worthen of Seattle Pacific and Jason Caryl of ...
- April (25)
- March (29)
- February (32)
- January (24)
- December (11)
- November (25)
- October (26)
- September (28)
- August (30)
- July (30)
- June (34)
- May (34)
- April (30)
- March (25)
- February (28)
- January (22)
- December (15)
- November (20)
- October (18)
- September (27)
- August (33)
- July (39)
- June (27)
- May (40)
- April (35)
- March (32)
- February (26)
- January (30)
- December (10)
- November (26)
- October (20)
- September (25)
- August (41)
- July (35)
- June (34)
- May (40)
- April (28)
- March (33)
- February (27)
- January (42)
- December (16)
- November (36)
- October (29)
- September (38)
- August (66)
- July (68)
- June (51)
- May (19)
- April (19)
- March (16)
- February (17)
- January (26)