Ebba Jungmark takes second at European Indoor championships...


GÖTEBORG, Sweden--Competing in her home town, former Washington State standout Ebba Jungmark (left/photo by Paul Merca) earned the silver medal Sunday in the high jump at the European indoor championships at the Scandinavium Arena.

Jungmark, a indoor world championships silver medalist last year, and a former NCAA indoor champ in 2008 at Washington State, tied her personal best of 6-5 (1.96m) with a first attempt clearance, after clearing the first three heights of 5-11 1/2 (1.82m), 6-1 1/2 (1.87m), and a season best 6-3 1/2 (1.92m) on first tries to match eventual winner Ruth Beitia of Spain.

6-6 1/4 (1.99m) was the height that decided Jungmark's fate, as with only Beitia and Swedish teammate Emma Green Tregaro remaining in the competition, Beitia was the only one over as the Spaniard cleared the bar on her second attempt.


“Today felt kind of unreal,” said Jungmark. “I have had some issues during this season but I was still dreaming of gold. I think that thinking got me to win a medal today, even though it was not gold. It was magical competing on home turf. I felt like I was Superman – or maybe Superwoman! Now I will just rest and make sure that my foot heals properly. I took some painkillers before the competition.”

Comments