Katie Mackey gets the W in 3000 at Stockholm Diamond League meet...

STOCKHOLM, Sweden--University of Washington alum Katie Mackey (left/photo by Paul Merca) of the Seattle-based Brooks Beasts earned the biggest win of her professional career, as she emerged victorious in the 3000 meter run at the Stockholm Bauhaus Athletics meet Thursday night at the Olympic Stadium.

Competing in the twelfth stop of the IAAF Diamond League tour, Mackey was with a group of six runners as they entered the bell lap at 7:50.  She moved to fourth with 150 to go, sitting on the shoulders of Betlhem Desalegn of the United Arab Emirates, Mimi Belete of Bahrain, and Haftamnesh Tesfaye of Ethiopia.

As they entered the home straight, Mackey moved wide and shot past the trio, taking the lead with about 70 meters to go and holding on for the win in a new personal best of 8:52.99, eclipsing her previous best of 8:59.41, set in Rieti, Italy two years ago.

Afterwards, she said, “I’ve had a real good 500m and 1500m last month so I knew it was possible, but oh man, I’m living a dream right now!”

“I love the 1500m and I did the 5000m at the US championships, so the 3000m is a sweet spot in the middle for me and I told myself I could do this…I’ll use the prize money to set up a training camp for girls over in Seattle.”

“This is my first IAAF Diamond League event so it’s really special…It’s my first time here and my dad (Kevin) came over with me—it’s a great place.”

Courtesy of the meet organizers, here is the video of the race:


With her win, Mackey moves into fourth place in the Diamond Race in the 3000 and a probable spot on the line in the Diamond League final in that event in Zurich on September 3rd.

In other events, Vancouver native Kara Winger finished sixth in the javelin with a throw of 200-5   (61.10m).  Barbora Spotakova of the Czech Republic won with a toss of 215-5 (65.66m).

Former Washington State standout Ebba Jungmark of Sweden, who has battled injuries the last few seasons finished fourth in the national section of the women's high jump, clearing 5-10.5 (1.79m).

Comments