Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Teams from the United States, Great Britain and Northern Ireland and a select European team will compete in men’s and women’s junior and senior races. Each country competing in the International Team Challenge will consist of nine athletes per team (six on the junior teams) with the first six athletes per team scoring. In cross country, the team with the lowest overall score wins.
NCAA Division II 10000 meter champ Sarah Porter, who recently completed her eligibility at Western Washington University and made her pro debut at the ING New York City Marathon, will be on the senior women's squad.
Three runners from Spokane will be on the USA junior squad, including Katie Knight (left/photo by Paul Merca), Nathan Weitz, and Andrew Gardner. Weitz recently finished 3rd at the Foot Locker Championships while Gardner took 6th.
Knight won the Nike Border Clash in Beaverton last month, and was third at the Nike Cross Nationals at Portland Meadows earlier this month.
Brie Felnagle and Katie Follett, who finished 1-3 at the USATF National Club Cross Country Championships at Seattle's Jefferson Park, declined their spots on the team.
The USA Track & Field release is available here.
- ► 2016 (234)
- ► 2015 (236)
- ► 2014 (236)
- ► 2013 (255)
- ► 2012 (300)
- And now...the 2011 edition of the Mercanator Award...
- Christmas greetings, all!
- Olympic 400m legend and former Washington Husky co...
- Porter, Knight, Weitz & Gardner on Team USA squad ...
- Jessica Beard & Ngoni Makusha win The Bowerman...
- Behind the scenes at The Bowerman...
- Here's who I picked for The Bowerman, and why...
- Tacoma native Brie Felnagle takes national club ha...
- USATF National Club Cross Country Championships se...
- Washington State's Jeshua Anderson & Husky commit ...
- Progress and chaos at USATF Athletes Advisory Comm...
- ▼ December (11)
- ► 2010 (342)
- ► 2009 (361)
- ► 2008 (401)