Nick Symmonds runs season best, but does not advance to finals at world indoors...

SOPOT, Poland--Nick Symmonds of the Seattle-based Brooks Beasts finished fourth in his heat of the men's 800 meters Friday afternoon at the Ergo Arena, and did not advance to Sunday's final.

Symmonds, the silver medalist at the world outdoor championships in Moscow last summer, wasn't a factor in his heat, as he finished in a season best time of 1:47.29, as Andre Olivier won the heat in 1:46.18, with Marcin Lewandowski of the host country second at 1:46.26, and Thijmen Kupers of the Netherlands third at 1:46.55, with all three advancing to Sunday's final.

By his own admission, he stated that he was about a month behind where he would've like to have been going into the world championships.  Nonetheless, he ran the eighth fastest time of the 19 men in the field, with only six (winner of each heat, plus the three fastest on time) advancing.

Courtesy of the IAAF, here is video of the race:


After the race, he told USA Track & Field, “I knew it was going to be fast. Glad to have been here. (This is) the only championship race available for an American this year. So I said even if I’m not quite ready for it, I want to be out there. So here I am. I ran a season’s best by almost a second, so I’m pleased with that. I’m a good month away from where I would need to be to be competitive with these guys. I’m very, very excited to watch the final on Sunday. They’re very fit and there are three guys who have already broken 1:45 indoors, and that would’ve been the American record if I was that fit. It’s going to be a very interesting final."



Later this evening, Washington State alum Bernard Lagat will run in the semis of the men's 3000.

NOTE:  USA Track & Field and the IAAF contributed to this report.

Comments