Winger threatens her American record at Longhorn Invitational...

AUSTIN, Texas--Vancouver native Kara Winger (left/photo by Paul Merca) won the javelin competition Saturday at the Longhorn Invitational at Mike G. Meyers Stadium on the campus of the University of Texas in Austin, throwing a stadium record and season best 218-1 (66.47m) and threatened her American record of 218-9 (66.67m), set in 2010.

After opening with a foul, the two-time US Olympian and graduate of Skyview HS threw her stadium record on her second attempt, which was 8 inches (20 cm) short of her American record, exceeded the qualifying standard for this summer's IAAF World Championships in Beijing, and oh by the way, is the third furthest throw in the world this season.

She also had three throws over 63 meters (206-8) in her series before finishing with a toss of 194-0 (59.15m).


I backed up for throw number two and attacked the end again.  The timing of my legs was great and my block held strong, catching the javelin back and at a much better angle than is my norm. "  

"It flew 66.47 meters." 

"If I had kept my chest up and finished the throw even better (and been a bit more closed at the block to let that happen), who knows what the reader board would have said.  I also still felt close to the scratch line.  Attempts three, four and five all traveled over 63 meters!  I tried to keep my chest up better on those ones, but the timing wasn't as good with my legs and that means that I lose the tip of the javelin.  I was pretty pumped up for my last attempt, but tired on a rare (for me) hot day and emotionally a little drained, so it only went 59m with terrible flight. “



Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks to Kara for her illumination into just how technical the javelin event is.