(left/photo courtesy Southern Mississippi sports information), the head coach at Southern Mississippi, posted on the reply section a response to my post and interview with Curtis High School and University Place resident Andrea Geubelle, whose fourth round mark of 46-11 3/4 (14.32m) in the triple jump at the NCAA championships in Des Moines on Saturday was wiped out after the conclusion of the event.
He writes, "At the instant of the jump there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that the official on the board missed the foul. I made the decision to protest less than two minutes after the jump. The protest was on file less than seven minutes after the jump. I personally informed my counterpart at Kansas about the protest. We sat together when the NCAA rep informed us of the decision. We were told that three officials independently reviewed the film and all ruled that it was a foul. My counterpart asked if he could see the film but was told that it was against policy. We were told, "The three officials each said the foul was very clear and couldn't see how the official on the board missed it."
The student athlete with the longest legal jump won the event.
The most unfortunate part was that Andrea was not informed until after the end of competition. She is an outstanding athlete with a bright future."
Sunday, June 10, 2012
- December (7)
- November (14)
- October (17)
- September (13)
- August (23)
- July (29)
- June (22)
- May (31)
- April (24)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (17)
- December (9)
- November (11)
- October (19)
- September (17)
- August (35)
- July (22)
- Brooks causes a minor uproar at Olympic Trials...
- Congratulations to Chris Kelly, the winner in the ...
- Patterson, Mackey, McNamara & Geubelle advance to ...
- Walker, Rome and Lagat punch their tickets to Lond...
- Two Seattle based companies making their presence ...
- While the Trials continue, the European Champs are...
- Bernard Lagat speaks to the media in advance of Th...
- Words from the man himself on how to "WIN KIP'S SP...
- WE ARE LIVE! The contest to "WIN KIP'S SPIKES" is...
- Andrea Geubelle nabs third place in Olympic Trials...
- Monday is a great day to follow Washington athlete...
- Aretha Thurmond earns Olympic team berth number fo...
- This is the best reality show on the planet...
- Crawford's Olympic aspirations fall short in Eugen...
- Frederick, Thurmond, and Crawford easily advance a...
- WIN KIP'S SPIKES!
- Hammer holds true to form at Nike campus; Bingson ...
- We're here for the hammer!
- The US Olympic Track & Field Trials begin Thursday...
- An Olympic Trials competitor is giving away their ...
- UPDATE #1: List of Washington affiliated athletes...
- Vancouver prep Sean Keller wins USA junior men's j...
- Around the track: Walker wins in Chula Vista; Cra...
- Nike reveals new USA Olympic track & field team un...
- Washington women's track and cross country program...
- Israel gets fifth in Moscow Challenge meet Monday....
- Southern Mississippi coach Kevin Stephen replies t...
- McNamara sets new personal best at Harry Jerome me...
- Lagat gets the W in adidas Grand Prix 1500 in Goth...
- Geubelle reflects on winning, then losing the NCAA...
- Katie Flood returns home and revives the blue magi...
- Rainier Beach grad Michael Berry takes second in 4...
- Washington's Flood & Bellingham native Friday adva...
- Ingvill Måkestad Bovin set to race at home at Exxo...
- Logan Miller of the Huskies takes fourth in NCAA p...
- EWU pole vaulter Keisa Monterola withdraws from NC...
- The collegiate season roars to a close on the blue...
- Liu Xiang ties world record--but it's wind-aided, ...
- Wilson Kiprop wins Kenyan Olympic Trials 10000m ra...
- May (38)
- April (25)
- March (29)
- February (32)
- January (24)
- December (11)
- November (25)
- October (26)
- September (28)
- August (30)
- July (30)
- June (34)
- May (34)
- April (30)
- March (25)
- February (28)
- January (22)
- December (15)
- November (20)
- October (18)
- September (27)
- August (33)
- July (39)
- June (27)
- May (40)
- April (35)
- March (32)
- February (26)
- January (30)
- December (10)
- November (26)
- October (20)
- September (25)
- August (41)
- July (35)
- June (34)
- May (40)
- April (28)
- March (33)
- February (27)
- January (42)
- December (16)
- November (36)
- October (29)
- September (38)
- August (66)
- July (68)
- June (51)
- May (19)
- April (19)
- March (16)
- February (17)
- January (26)