Sunday morning in Osaka...

Ian Waltz, the former Washington State standout, prepares to throw the discus Sunday morning here in Osaka, Japan. /photo by Paul Merca

5:25 pm--Fairly quiet morning session today here at the World Championships as far as athletes from the state of Washington go.

All the action centered in the discus, where Ian Waltz, Jarred Rome, and Mart Israel all failed to advance to the finals.

Waltz, the Washington State grad, finished 13th overall, throwing 205-7, while Rome, formerly of Marysville-Pilchuck High School was 15th with a mark of 203-0.

Mart Israel, an Estonian who was at the University of Washington this past academic year before being declared ineligible, was 22nd with a throw of 197-7.

Afterwards, Waltz said, "I had a good warmup, then I started pressing a little bit. I felt like I was too fast, too explosive during the competition. I'm not happy with the way I threw, and we'll go from there."

Tonight, former Cougars Diana Pickler finishes up in the heptathlon, and Anson Henry runs in the semis of the 100 meters. I apologize for not including Israel and Henry in the preview.

I hope to post an interview with Kara Goucher that I conducted this afternoon in the next day or so.

Comments