Josh Kerr of the Brooks Beasts finishes sixth in the 1500m on final day of world champs...

DOHA, Qatar—In a race devoid of tactics, Kenya’s Timothy Cheruiyot made sure that no one sat and kicked, as he led from gun to tape to win the men’s 1500 meters on the final day of competition at the IAAF World Track & Field Championships at Khalifa International Stadium Sunday night.

Cheruiyot ran 3:29.26 to win the second fastest race in world championship meet history.

Behind the Kenyan, seven of the top nine finishers either set personal or season bests, including Josh Kerr (left/photo by Paul Merca) of Great Britain and the Seattle based Brooks Beasts track club, who finished sixth in a new personal best of 3:32.52.

Two spots behind Kerr was 2018-19 University of Washington volunteer assistant coach Matthew Centrowitz, who after dealing with injuries earlier in the season, ran a season best 3:32.81, and ducked under the 2020 Olympic qualifying standard.

After Centrowitz finished Friday’s semifinal race, he mentioned to reporters in the mixed zone that he thought that Cheruiyot, the defending world champion and a noted front runner, was going to push the pace from the start, and that the best strategy is to go with him from the first step.

Cheruiyot went through the 400 in 55.01, then followed it up by crossing the 800 in 1:51.75. 

At 1200, he was the only runner under 2:50 at 2:48.22, and it was academic that barring a collapse, Cheruiyot was going to defend his world championship.

Kerr sensibly stayed off the pace, and made a hard surge for home with 300 to go, but could not make up ground on the others in front.

Kerr, who now stands tenth on the UK all-time list, said: “I just ran out of steam. I feel like I ran a very even and sensible race, something that I was planning on doing. I got beaten by some very good runners today. I am not disappointed, it is a little bit bittersweet. I feel like a medal was definitely up for grabs today and I kind of let that opportunity go.”

The University of New Mexico grad, who finished his first full year under Beasts coach Danny Mackey, said, “I feel like I gave it my all out there and ran 3:36, 3:36, 3:32. If you asked me if I wanted to do that at the start of the championships and do you think that will medal, I would say hell yeah. I am not disappointed with the way I performed. I prepared very well for this competition and sixth was just what it was on the day.”

Rio 2016 champion Matthew Centrowitz commented: “I wish I had a better start off the line. I was right next to Cheruiyot. We all knew what he was going to do…”

Centrowitz, who had a bit of a late start in his season due to injuries and transitioning to a new coaching situation with Jerry Schumacher and the Beaverton based Nike Bowerman TC, said that having a full year with the new team, which has more strength and 5000 meter based training, will help him going into the 2020 season.

From an American perspective, Team USATF ended the meet with two victories in the men’s and women’s 4 x 400 relays, and a 1-2 finish in the women’s 100 hurdles by Nia Ali and Kent Harrison, giving them 29 total medals, of which 14 were gold.

Complete final day results of the IAAF World Track & Field Championships are available here.

NOTE:  The IAAF, British Athletics and USA Track & Field contributed to this report.

Special thanks for technical assistance during our stay in Doha to the IAAF and to Nikon Japan, who came through with a backup camera. 

Comments