Every so often, I like to deviate from the format of the mighty blogspot, and give a pop to some of the folks who cover the sport on a regular basis.
One of the premier experts on the marathon and distance running in general is my good friend Sean Hartnett (left, with Haile Gebreselassie after 2008 Berlin Marathon/photo courtesy Sean Hartnett), who in real life is a geography professor at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
I've had the privilage of rooming with Sean at the 2003 & 2005 IAAF world track & field championships in Paris & Helsinki, and have traveled and covered numerous other meets around the world with him as part of a small group of journalists I like to call the "American Track Mafia".
Sean's covered many of the world's top marathons as a writer and photographer, and over the last few years, has picked up a new side gig helping advise Ethiopia's Haile Gebreselassie. His expertise as a geographer has been utilized by some of the major marathons, as he's helped race directors with course elevation maps.
For the upcoming Dubai Marathon on January 16th, in which Gebreselassie will take a shot at his own world record of 2:03:59, set in Berlin in September, he's advised the race management to remove some turns and change the direction of the out-and-back course so that the winds are at the back of the runners during the second half of the race.
To read more about Sean's role in Gebreselassie's upcoming world record attempt in Dubai, click here...
- December (4)
- November (14)
- October (17)
- September (13)
- August (23)
- July (29)
- June (22)
- May (31)
- April (24)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (17)
- December (9)
- November (11)
- October (19)
- September (17)
- August (35)
- July (22)
- June (39)
- May (38)
- April (25)
- March (29)
- February (32)
- January (24)
- December (11)
- November (25)
- October (26)
- September (28)
- August (30)
- July (30)
- June (34)
- May (34)
- April (30)
- March (25)
- February (28)
- January (22)
- December (15)
- November (20)
- October (18)
- September (27)
- August (33)
- July (39)
- June (27)
- May (40)
- April (35)
- March (32)
- February (26)
- January (30)
- December (10)
- November (26)
- October (20)
- September (25)
- August (41)
- July (35)
- June (34)
- May (40)
- April (28)
- March (33)
- February (27)
- Jenny Barringer steals show at UW Invitational...
- Norris Frederick fifth in long jump in Glasgow...
- UW Invitational notes--men
- UW Invitational notes--women
- Lagat ties Eamonn Coghlan's Millrose record with s...
- Dawgs take NCAA lead with school record in distanc...
- Friday afternoon notes for UW Invitational indoor ...
- Cougar Indoor Team Scoring Meet this weekend...
- Thoughts from Bernard Lagat on the Wanamaker Mile ...
- Dawgs ready to rumble Friday & Saturday at UW Invi...
- Ducks envious of Texas A&M indoor facility...
- Lagat seeking record seventh Wanamaker Mile title ...
- Arkansas to appear at UW Invitational this weekend...
- Universal Sports now available on Comcast in Seatt...
- Trent Arrivey gets NCAA provisional qualifier at W...
- Ghanaweb reports ex-WSU triple jumper Francis Dodo...
- Bear designated as official mascot of Berlin 2009....
- WSU hosts Open Indoor meet Friday & Saturday...
- Norris Frederick named to Team USA squad for Five ...
- Thoughts on Barack Obama...
- Jeshua Anderson & UW women's cross country team ho...
- Goucher gets two wins at UW Indoor Preview...
- Link to Kara Goucher story at trackandfieldnews.co...
- Olympian Kara Goucher entered in the mile...
- Unleashing the "beast" within the UW sprint corps....
- Galen Rupp to run at UW meet on Saturday...
- Jeshua Anderson featured in Trackshark profile of ...
- Brooks Johnson's take on Steve Roush's resignation...
- 2009 update to Dempsey Indoor sub-4 club...
- Sometimes, a comedy clip is what you need...
- US pole vaulters to start their own tour...
- Washington, Washington State unranked in USTFCCCA ...
- The RunnerSpace.com rundown...
- Following up on two recent posts...
- Eugene in the mix for Golden League status...
- So who replaces Steve Roush on the USATF High Perf...
- Mr. Marathon Sean Hartnett...
- Thoughts on paying America's top ten athletes in e...
- A Kara Goucher interview to start the new year...
- And the awards keep piling up for the Huskies...
- Flotrack's most dominating performance of 2008...
- Bernard Lagat interview, courtesy runblogrun.com.....
- December (16)
- November (36)
- October (29)
- September (38)
- August (66)
- July (68)
- June (51)
- May (19)
- April (19)
- March (16)
- February (17)
- January (26)