Links to pass along: SPU, SeattleU, etc...

Here are some links to whet your track & field appetite!

First is a story courtesy of Seattle Pacific's sports information office on how they won the national title in the distance medley relay at last week's NCAA Division II championships in Albuquerque, as second leg Jennifer Pike (left/photo courtesy Seattle Pacific) was bumped on the final lap of her 400-meter leg.

Pike was on the inside lane as she rounded the final curve. It was then that she saw a runner from Grand Valley State moving up on her.

“The girl kept getting closer on my shoulder, so I tried to make my arms a little bigger -- otherwise, she would have stepped on my feet,” Pike said. “Coming around the corner, she kept getting closer, and on the last part of the curve, she nudged up against me and cut in front of me.”

From the nudge, Pike’s left foot hit the bar that ran around the inside lane of the track on the infield. All of a sudden, her speed was gone -- and her balance was going.

“From her cutting in front of me, I ended up slowing down because I hit that bar and because I would have stepped on her heels,” Pike said. “From that combination, my balance got thrown off.

“My arms were flailing -- I felt like one of those lawn decorations where their arms are going in circles,” Pike added with a laugh.

At the time, however, it was no laughing matter to Pike.

“I felt like, ‘No, I can’t fall -- not in this race. My three teammates are seniors. I can’t fall.’ ”

Did her experience as a hurdler help her stay up?

“I didn’t really think of that,” Pike said.

To read the full story, please click here…

Washington State University announced that they have signed sprinter Chanel James.

James is currently attending and competing for Community Colleges of Spokane. Last spring James captured three titles at the 2009 Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges (NWAACC) Championships: the 100m dash, long jump and triple jump titles, and finished second in the 200m dash.

To read Washington State's release, please click here…


Seattle University competes this Saturday in Eugene at the Oregon Preview meet, hosted by the University of Oregon.

Several members of the SeattleU team competed in the PLU Invitational last week in Tacoma. Their release and results can be accessed here…

Central Washington, and Gonzaga will also send athletes to the Oregon Preview. They'll both also send a contingent to the Dusty Lane Open in Spokane, as will Washington State and Eastern Washington.

The University of Washington will not compete until next weekend's Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto.

Comments

Kara Winger said…
Paul, Jennifer Pike and I were on the track team together at Skyview High School! Her older sister, Rachael, is one of my best and most-cherished friends from home; Rachael and I swam together all four years at SHS and carpooled together. I'm so proud of Jenn!!