Allie Ostrander has strong showing in steeple debut for Brooks Beasts at nationals...

DES MOINES, Iowa—A bevy of middle distance runners with Washington ties shined Friday on day 2 of the Toyota USATF Outdoor Championships at Drake Stadium on the campus of Drake University.

In the women’s 3000 meter steeplechase semifinals, all four runners with Washington ties advanced to Sunday’s finals.

Running in her steeplechase debut as a member of the Seattle based Brooks Beasts, reigning NCAA champion Allie Ostrander (above/photo by Mike Scott) finished second in her heat behind American record holder Courtney Freirichs.

Frerichs ran the fastest time of the qualifying round in a time of 9:46.35, with Ostrander close behind in 9:47.54.

Finishing third in the heat was Washington alum Mel Lawrence, who ran 9:58.16.

In the mixed zone, Ostrander said, “I’m really excited to be in the mix for this year. Definitely, Emma [Coburn] having a bye makes it a whole new ballgame. I'm just excited for Sunday does it give it my all and see what I can do.”

“I’ve definitely felt a few little aches and pains here and there. But overall I'm pretty happy with how my body was held up with the long season, indoor-to-outdoor, and now I'm continuing with USAs. I’m definitely ready for a break but I'm really excited that I was able to train to do this meet.”

In the second heat, Colorado alum and defending world champion Emma Coburn took the victory in 9:51.43. Pasco HS grad Marisa Howard was third in 9:59.66, while Washington State alum Caroline Austin was fourth in 9:59.89.

The men’s 1500 saw more of the same, with University of Washington alum and school record holder Isaac Yorks of the Brooks Beasts running the second fastest time of the qualifying round.

Yorks finished second behind Josh Thompson of the Nike Bowerman TC, running 3:42.28 to Thompson’s 3:42.12.

The Washington school record holder said afterwards, “I was going to originally get out to the front and then just kind of make it like an even pace like a 61-second pace. So when I felt the wind was just like, ‘I'm gonna go upfront and box, but I'm going to leave the lane open on my left. If anybody wants to lead and they can pass me there, that's a pretty tantalizing prize. But I'm not gonna let anyone come in on me. So it's going to force people to have to spread further on me. So with the wind, that was like, pretty ideal.”

In heat 2, Henry Wynne of the Beasts was second to Craig Engels of the Nike Oregon Project, as he ran 3:43.23, 1/100th of a second behind Engels.

The third and final heat saw University of Washington volunteer coaches Sam Prakel (3:43.13) and Matthew Centrowitz (3:43.46) go 2-3, behind Ben Blankenship of the Nike Oregon TC (3:43.07).

David Ribich (3:45.22) of the Brooks Beasts and Paul Ryan (3:45.96) of Washington State were sixth and seventh in the heat.

Washington State’s Brock Eager (222-11/67.94m) was tenth in the finals of the men’s hammer throw, while Savannah Colón was eighth in her 800 meter semifinal race, running 2:06.58. Tacoma native Marcus Chambers was seventh in his 400 meter semi, running 46.58.

Complete day 2 results are available here.

NBC Sports will broadcast day 3 of the Toyota USATF Outdoor Championships starting at 1 pm, Pacific. The earlier events will be streamed via NBC Sports Gold ($) on nbcsports.com starting at 9:25 am Pacific time.

NOTE: USA Track & Field contributed to this report.

Comments