Jeshua Anderson wins first round heat at world juniors...

Qualifying rounds in the 400 hurdles highlighted the morning session of the second day during the 12th IAAF World Junior Championships led by Washington State's Jeshua Anderson.

Anderson, the 2008 NCAA 400 hurdle champion from Washington State, claimed the first heat in a comfortable 51.13 while South Carolina's Johnny Dutch, who placed fifth at the Olympic Trials, won his heat in 52.21. Anderson posted the top qualifying time while Dutch ranked 12th.

Afterwards, Anderson told USA Track & Field media staffers, "I'm just a little tired running this early today. I just wanted to come out and get into a steady pace and run a good race. It wasn't my best, but I did what I had to do.

"This was like running at Washington State, there was a lot of wind and the temperature was pretty cool. It was a lot more wind than I expected.

"I'm looking to having a good meet, but I haven't had much rest since football season after competing during indoor and outdoor track. This is a big step for me and I feel blessed to have avoided any injuries."

NOTE: USA Track & Field contributed to this report.

Comments