Jeshua Anderson wins world junior title at 400 hurdles...


Washington State freshman Jeshua Anderson's (center/file photo by Paul Merca) amazing first year running the 400 meter hurdles was capped off Friday night as he won the IAAF world junior title in the event, running a personal best and WSU school record time of 48.68 in Bydgoszcz, Poland.

Anderson, who won the Pac-10, NCAA West Regional, NCAA national, and USA junior titles this season, lowered his previous personal best by 1/100ths of a second, set in winning the NCAA title in Des Moines, Iowa in June.

In Friday's race, he defeated South Carolina freshman Johnny Dutch, an Olympic Trials finalist, who ran 49.25 to lead an American 1-2 finish.

In quotes posted on the USA Track & Field site, he said, "I wanted to come in strong and stay focused. I knew Johnny was going to be right on me, so I wanted to finish strong and keep my composure. Plus I wanted us to go 1-2 and bring some medals back.

"I'm glad it's over with now, because I'm tired. Initially I just wanted to go to the Trials and compete there, which I was able to do. I had a really good year and wasn't expecting all of this to happen.

"Nothing really crossed my mind as I finished. I just wanted to hurry up and get done with the race. I'm glad we finished 1-2. I'm really appreciative about that."

Anderson is not done at the World Junior Championships as he will run on the men's 4x400m relay team in preliminary heats Saturday, aiming for the Sunday final.

For complete results from the IAAF World Junior Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland, click here...

Comments