WELTREKORD! Brooks Beasts' Josh Kerr takes down the 27-year old mile world record...
LONDON--Josh Kerr (Paul Merca photo) of Seattle's Brooks Beasts called his shot in March when he publicly declared that he was going for the world record in the mile that stood for twenty seven years at the Novuna London Athletics Meet at London Stadium Saturday.
Josh Kerr delivered on that declaration in the eleventh stop of the Wanda Diamond League tour in front of a crowd of over 60,000 spectators. Racing at the venue which hosted both the 2012 Olympics and the 2017 world championships,
Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco's world record of 3:43.13, which stood since July 7, 1999, finally fell, as the Beast ran 3:42.66 in a race touted as "Project 222" by his team.
With Brooks Beasts teammate Brannon Kidder leading the way, Kidder took the field through the first 800 in 1:50.63, before Slovenia's Žan Rudolf took over pacing duties, dropping out past the 1000 mark.
Kerr, the 2024 Paris Olympic silver medalist and 2023 world outdoor champion at 1500 meters, took over with over 600 meters to go, and crossed the 1200 in 2:46.39. However, American Yared Nuguse and Germany's Robert Farken were still in striking distance to overtake Kerr should he falter.
Kerr opened up a gap on Nuguse with less than 300 to go, dropping Farken in the process as he crossed the 200 to go mark in 3:15.5.
As he came off the turn, the gap between him and Nuguse, the Paris Olympic bronze medalist opened up even more, as he crossed the line in 3:42.66, covering the last 200 unofficially in 27.16.
Nuguse was second in a season best 3:45.69, while Great Britain's Jake Heyward overtook Farken for third in a personal best 3:46.73.
Washington alum Nathan Green was fifth in a personal best 3:48.05, while Seattle resident Sam Prakel, who earned his spot on the line after winning the Morton Games in Dublin last week, finished ninth in a personal best 3:49.63.
Afterwards, Kerr told reporters in the mixed zone, “It is very overwhelming. There was a lot of hype. I am surrounded by amazing people, so I have continued to put the work in, so I knew I had a 3:42 in me. I nearly lost it there at the end, but I got over the line. If I am to leave my mark on the sport, as a British athlete with the legends I have behind me, to follow in those footsteps, I have to deliver those performances."
Referring to the Brooks Beasts team led by head coach Danny Mackey, and assistant Julian Florez, as well as the Brooks production and design team that made the custom kit for this world record attempt, Kerr said, “Those performances take every part of you, every part of your team. Out there, I am just the body, but there is an incredible amount of work behind the scenes. Today is a result of all that hard work. The last lap was incredible. I was deaf in the last 110 meters.”
It wasn't just Kerr who had a great day for the Beasts.
Brandon Miller (Paul Merca photo), who only received a spot in the meet on Tuesday after the withdrawal of Canada's Marco Arop, pulled off a huge win in the men's 800 as he also set a personal best in turning back the likes of reigning world and Olympic champion Emmanuel Wanyonyi of Kenya.
After pacer Patryk Sieradzki of Poland took the field through in a blistering 49.43, Miller, sensing that Wanyonyi and Great Britain's Max Burgin were dropping back entering the final turn, turned on the burners over the last 120 meters to win in a personal best 1:42.19.
"I've been running really well this year, and I've been focused on winning races, and also the way that I've been winning races."
"Coach (Danny Mackey) thought that I had more in me," said Miller.
One interesting observation in talking to Miller afterwards was that he's been inspired by how hard Kerr has worked in the buildup to the world record attempt. Miller said that the work Kerr has put in on the track, the roads, and the gym, have helped raised the bar and the expectations for himself as well as the rest of the Seattle based team.
Former Washington State All-American Louie Hinchliffe ran the second leg on Great Britain's 4 x 100 relay, winning in a time of 37.95, as they prepare for both the Commonwealth Games at the end of the month, as well as the European Championships.
NOTE: Brooks Running, the Wanda Diamond League, World Athletics, and the Novuna London Athletics Meet contributed to this report.
paulmerca.blogspot.com may receive a commission for any purchases made from links clicked. Please support this site and our sponsors by clicking on the links. You can also support the site by clicking the yellow "Buy Me A Coffee" link below or the blue icon on the lower right hand side.





Comments