Mead/Spokane's Simon Rosselli wins World Athletics U20 discus title with American record...


EUGENE--
Simon Rosselli of Spokane's Mead High School (Paul Merca photos) saved the best throw of his high school career for the biggest moment.

Rosselli, who was fourth entering the sixth and final round of the men's discus at the World Athletics Under 20 Championships, spun the platter until it landed 217-9 (66.36m) away from the Hayward Field discus ring that will be his home ring beginning this fall when he starts attending school as a freshman at the University of Oregon.

That mark put him into the lead and after waiting for the final three throwers, the throw held up as the winning throw.

It also broke the American record in the discus (junior level implement=1.75 kg or 3.86 pounds) set by Colorado prep Mason Finley on July 31, 2009 of 214-4 (65.34m).

Rosselli started the day with a first round throw of 207-9 (63.32m) which was a personal best, to become the early leader.

In round 3, he threw yet another personal best, sending the platter out to 210-6 (64.16m), but was only good for third place, as he was passed by both Jamaicans Kamari Kennedy and Joseph Salmon, who threw 210-7 (64.18m), and 211-2 (64.37m).

Round 4 saw Estonia's Sten-Erik Iir get himself into the mix, launching the disc 211-10 (64.57m) to take the lead, then followed it up with a throw of 214-7 (65.42m).

After the first two throwers in round 6 fouled, Rosselli put everything together and threw the disc 217-9 (66.36m), the eventual winning mark.

Iir's fifth round throw of 214-7 (65.42m) was good for second, and Salmon's 211-2 (64.37m) in round 2 earned the Jamaican a third place finish.

Salmon, the penultimate thrower in the final round, threw the only other fair mark, but didn't improve on his best throw. Iir, the final thrower, fouled to hand Rosselli the world title.

“Walking into the ring, I had one more chance,” Rosselli said. “I had nothing to lose. I’ve said it a few times that if it’s going to come down to a competition, I’m taking me every time. I love the competition, I love to compete.”


After round 5, Rosselli walked to the east side coaches box to talk to former University of Washington and Arizona throws coach TJ Crater, who is now the director of the Iron Wood Throws Center just east of Spokane in Rathdrum, Idaho.

“Before I even walked into the ring, I knew I had it,” Rosselli said. “I knew what I needed to change. I knew what I needed to do differently. All I had to do was go out there and execute.”

“What he told me was to drive and relax. To normal people that wouldn’t make much sense,” Rosselli said. “I knew exactly what he meant in the moment and I was able to go out there and get it done.”

In order for him to concentrate on the task at hand at the world championships, Rosselli, whose family was forced to evacuate their home near the center of the Spokane Complex fires, was not told about the status of their house. He did find out in the mixed zone that the home was still standing.

“That’s heavy,” Rosselli said when asked about the fires. “Spokane’s gone through a lot but Spokane bands together. That’s what they do. We have friends who aren’t out of danger yet. It’s devastating.

“Things will turn around. It may not be this year, it may not be next year. But Spokane will be back.”

Kamiak's rising senior Miller Warme finished just off the podium in the men's 400 hurdles, placing fourth in 50.06.

Czechia's Michal Rada took the victory in 48.59, while Japan's Taiju Goto was second in 49.23, and South Africa's Matodzi Ndo was third in 49.90.

In the only other final involving Washington affiliated athletes, incoming University of Washington freshmen Milla Roberts of Australia and Sherry Drury of Japan both fell during the women's 1500 meter race, finishing in 14th and 15th place.

Roberts finished in 4:29.35, while Drury's time was 4:29.70.

Josephine Mancha of Kenya won in 4:16.73.


NOTE: World Athletics and TrackTown USA contributed to this report.

paulmerca.blogspot.com may receive a commission for any purchases made from links clicked. Please support this site and our sponsors by clicking on the links. You can also support the site by clicking the yellow "Buy Me A Coffee" link below or the blue icon on the lower right hand side.

Comments